Friday, January 25, 2008

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم)

On my way back home today, as I was crossing the road, the cab caller on the road side, asked me "Sir, you want the cab". I said "No", he smiled and said "As-Salāmu `Alaykum"- which is the greeting in Islam, commonly used in middle east. I smiled back looking at him, I didn't even reply back, and started to think as I crossed the road, that when will the world know about Sikhs and Sikhism. That guy mistook me for an Arab, as I wear a turban like all Sikhs do.

I believe it will take some time, as I realize, that not all Sikhs know the true meaning of a Sikh. I met some Indians who were surprised to know, that I don't eat meat and drink. For them, a Sardar means lots of chicken and beer. Some confused me for Naamdhari or Radhasoami, that incident hurt me, and forced me to think hard as to how things have changed so much.

To finish off, I will add some happy moments too. When in Europe and here in US, at the shop or on the road or at the station, someone will come and wish me '
Sat Shri Akal' or 'Paaji ki haal chaal' (how are you brother'). It feels good at that time, as they could identify me for the way I look. A proud khalsa.

Only the Guru knows, when the Khalsa will rise and be seen as a Khalsa and not mistaken for anything else.

1 comment:

Vivek Verma said...

Nice one buddy !!!

If I ask you how you perceive people, what makes you think something good or bad in Americans or English or people from any other place...it's the media...how many times have you seen Sikhs in movies playing a nice sophisticated role...you always see a belligerent Sunny Deol with a Turban and that is how people see you :-)...thing will change but then people like you have to change them :-)

-Viv