Saturday, January 26, 2008

The 10 Sikh Gurus

Everyday as I pray, I remember the 10 Sikh Gurus. But unlike now, I just did not not want to say their names, rather I wanted to think of something that they did for us as I remember them everyday, and thank them from my heart, for how they gave big contributions for the faith. So here is the list, and I think about it as I say my prayer, which helps me realize the importance of the Guru in my life and motivates me to live with the strong principles the Guru's had.


1. Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
* Founder of Sikhism, his message: Naam Japō (meditate), Kirat Karō (Work hard), Vand Chakkō (Share with less fortunate)
2. Guru Angad Dev Ji
* Formalized the present form of the Gurmukhi script
3. Guru Amardas Ji
* Langar (Free Blessed Food), abolished the Caste System, his service to the Guru at old age.
4. Guru Ramdas Ji
* Author of Laava, the hymns of the Marriage Rites, Designed the Golden Temple.
5. Guru Arjan Dev Ji
* First Sikh Guru to be martyred, Compiled the holy Sikh Book, Developed the holy city of Amritsar.
6. Guru Har Gobind Ji
* Built the Akal Takhat, Gave the concept of Miri and Piri(The temporal and the spiritual power)
7. Guru Har Rai Ji
* Excommunicated Ram Rai Ji (his Son) from the Sikh Panth, for he distorted Gurbani to please the King.
8. Guru Harkrishan Ji
* The child Guru, who did unselfish sewa, and provided cure to thousands suffering from smallpox
9. Guru Teg Bahadur Ji
* Was martyred for saving the Kashmiri Pandits, who were being persecuted by the Mughals
10. Guru Gobind Singh Ji
* The creation of the Khalsa (The current form) was the greatest work of the Guru


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanx 22 ji.
Im proud of you. Raab tuhannu saaria khushia te naam da daan bakshe!!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.